Hell's Kitchen, NYC

Hell's Kitchen, NYC
My Food Center of the World

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Sofrito

For all of you who have been asking about my sofrito recipe, here you go. I came up with this recipe some time ago as an homage to all of my AMAZING New Yorican Mamas, Abuels, Tias y Amigas who have made such an impact on my life. This is what I call having gold in the fridge. I use this for very traditional dishes like Arroz con Gandules and my long simmered Black Beans as well as a fresh  addition to salsas and chilis.  Play with it and have fun. It is a great flavor to layer into so many dishes.




2 Bunches Fresh Cilantro leaves and stems rinsed well and dried

1 Red Bell Pepper seeded 
1 Green Cubanelle Peepper seeded
6 Ajicito Peppers seeded*
1 Large Yellow Onion quartered
5 Cloves Garlic
2 Packets Goya Sazon con Culantro y Achiote

Everything is a food processor fitted with metal blade, pulse and process until chunky smooth. Store in an air tight Mason Jar or container for up to two weeks.


*Ajicito peppers can be tricky to find. The best luck is usually in Puerto Rican neighborhoods. an alternative that has worked for me is substituting 1 JalapeƱo or Poblano pepper seeded and 1 Serrano pepper seeded.


No comments:

Post a Comment